Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
JR Pritchard Corn Merchant

I'm looking for information about JR Pritchard who was my gandfather and was a well respected corn merchant and justice of the peace in Carnarvon in the early 1900's. I'm looking for information about him and his family plus photos.
David Pritchard

Re: JR Pritchard Corn Merchant

Dear Mr. Pritchard,

Your grandfather, J.R. Pritchard, was indeed a Justice of the Peace and Mayor of Caernarfon 1894/95. Not only was he a corn mercharnt but a grocer also and kept a shop in 33, Pool Street, where Woolworths is today and also had a warehouse at 39 Pool Street (See Slaters Directory 1895). He also, at one time, kept a grocer's shop at 18, High Street and sold it to R.H. Thomas in the early 20th century. There is an inscription above that shop that can still be seen today and it reads "Established 1735"

The only photo I believe to be that of him in on board the Caernarfon and Anglesey Steamer "ARVON" (1896 - 1922) taken early 20th century/ Soldiers and their horses can be seen in the same photo.

This information is supplied free of charge, but if you want to delve further into your family history I suggest you hire a Family History Historian and the Archives at Caernarfon have a list of reputable researchers which they can suipply you upon request.

Yours truly,

T. Meirion Hughes

Re: Re: JR Pritchard Corn Merchant

Thank you very much indeed for all your help. I think I shall take your advice and try to get a family history researcher in Caernarfon and try to piece it all together. Thanks once again.
Best wishes,
David Pritchard

Re: JR Pritchard Corn Merchant

Hi David- I believe your grandfather lived in the house we are in the process of buying - Bryn Eisteddfod. I'm just starting to do some research on the house and previous occupants, and came across your query! Hope you got on well with your search.
Best wishes, Iona Edwards