Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roman Bridge

Hello Meirion,
Do you Know exactly where the Romans used to cross the river Seiont when they travelled in a southerly direction from Segontium ?

Re: Roman Bridge

The Roman period is not one I am very conversant with apart from the fact that many people are not aware that there were in fact two Roman camps in Caernarfon.

The one called Segontium is, of course, known to most people and the lesser known one is Henwalia, which has its bank on the river Seiont, near to where the Age Concern Building is today on St Helen's Road. At one time there was a very busy port here with many warships at anchor. It was from this port that ships sailed to patrol the Irish Sea to guard against invasion. They also guarded the coastine down the Llyn Penisula towards Aberdaron.

I cannot say that I am aware of a Roman Bridge crossing the river Seiont, but if there is I am sure that someone will enlighten me. I should imagine that there would have been fords where the water was shallow and that horses and carts would have been able to cross to the other side without danger.

Many will have heard it said that the Maesincla Bridge crossing the River Cadnant was a Roman Bridge at one time, but other historians disagree and date it about a thousand years later. This is what was called a Pack Horse Bridge, meaning that it was only wide enough for a horse carrying a load on its back to cross, but not wide enough to allow a cart through.

I should be pleased to hear from any reader of this email who knows of the existance of a Roman Bridge anywhere on the River Seiont from Penllyn down to the Aber Bridge.

Regards,

T. Meirion Hughes

Re: Roman Bridge

I WAS TOLD A TALE, WHEN A SMALL BOY, THAT ARCHEOLAGIST'S FOUND OLD WOODEN STAKES, FROM THE AGE CONCERN BUILDING, CROSSING OVER TO ABER FORESHORE.HOW MUCH IS TRUE I DONT KNOW?....GIVE GWYNEDD ARCHAEOLOGY AN e-mail.THAT SHOULD ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

Re: Re: Roman Bridge

I obtained an email address for the Gwynedd Archaeology Dept. from Mr. Geraint Roberts and sent them a request for the information Mr.Kevin Jones has asked for regarding the location of a Roman Bridge crossing the river Seiont.

Subject to my receiving a reply I shall post any relevent information on this Forum.

RegarT. Meirion Hughes