Return to Website

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board

A place for Soo Bahk Do - Tang Soo Do - Moo Duk Kwan members to connect and discuss the martial arts. *Note we reserve the right to delete any posts that are disrespectful. This is a board for Warrior-Scholars, visitors are expected to behave as such*

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Sparring Techniques

What are your favorite tried and true sparring techniques - the ones you rely on when you're facing dangerous competition or fall back on when you're in doubt?

I am a double-kicker, and favor my right leg. My left leg I refer to as my "Weekend at Bernie's" leg, but I'm slowly working that sucker into shape.

I thought a thread in which we pooled some collective mat-wisdom could be illuminating. What are your favorite techniques? I'd imagine they depend very much on the type of opponent you're facing. Runners one would handle differently from bulls who charge right in.

One cho dan with whom I was chatting a week ago told me that in a tournament, his opponent would throw alot of spinning kicks. He said he snapped back and came forward with reverse punches - teul oh chung dan kong kyuks. Point, point, point...point....point!

Re: Favorite Sparring Techniques

Great topic, and of course as you indicate, one must be very fluid and open to using whatever works depending on the style, size, and skill level of your opponent.

Your cho-dan friend has good insight, in my humble opinion... reverse punches are kind of like the foundation of sparring/fighting. Other faves of mine: leading leg foot sweep (either as full takedown or as a feint/distraction/balance upsetter), reverse ridgehand (yuk soo do) after side-stepping or parrying an incoming attack, and leading leg stepping/hopping/sliding in side kick from side stance.

I'm curious to see how some of the senior members/contributors reply to this thread.

Respectfully,
LF

Re: Re: Favorite Sparring Techniques

Leg Kick , Leg Kick , 1-2 , under cut , under cut , left hook , cross , nighty night .

David

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Sparring Techniques

personally, I prefer a little know technique called: "ching ching pow". hasn't ever failed me!!!
Rich