Return to Website

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board

A place for Soo Bahk Do - Tang Soo Do - Moo Duk Kwan members to connect and discuss the martial arts. *Note we reserve the right to delete any posts that are disrespectful. This is a board for Warrior-Scholars, visitors are expected to behave as such*

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

Hi Jack,

That was probably me asking her back in late June. I have been working on a project for some time now, but have run into an obstacle. Anyway, I won't bore you with the details.

I don't think the Dan Bon I have for him is incorrect, but I could be wrong. Kyosa Ursula was kind enough to give me that information, but she didn't get back to me regarding Lee Hon In's and Lee Pal Young's Dan Bon. I am still waiting for that info, but I don't think she is going to give me that info as she hasn't responded to the last couple of e-mails I sent to her. Oh well.

Patrick K.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

I don't know that it will be given to her. There are things which are considered rude, and I believe that would be one. Perhaps if you offered a reason to them in writing they would be more willing to cooperate?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

Hi Kungfuren,

I was a little shocked that asking for someone's instructors Dan Bon would be considered rude. Afterall, isn't learning the history of Tang Soo Do and the history of your instructor (lineage) part of the curriculum for the Federation. I believe some of this information (lineage) was asked on some of their Dan tests. I may be incorrect about that as I am not a member of the Federation. Regardless, I do appreciate your opinion as I had never even considered that point of view. Thanks again!

As an aside I had told them all about the project, but this project for me is of a personal nature. And it did seem like she was willing to get the information for me. I just thought that Ho Sik Pak decided that he didn't want to hand over that info. But perhaps I am mistaken. Perhaps she became really busy, and just forgot to get back to me. Or perhaps you hit the nail on the head!

Either way, there is no hard feelings. And once again thanks for your point of view.

Patrick K.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

There are also those who do not want to give information because of people who either slander them,or outright attack them. Grm. Myung, a Hapkido KJ, for this reason did not cooperate with Marc Tedeschi when writing his book. There are also numerous instances of people being misquoted. I know that some Koreans feel it is rude to ask about their dan bon... a few years back I ran into that one and got a very thorough rear chewing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

Thanks again. I had not realized that asking for a Dan Bon could be such a touchy subject. I appreciate the heads up.

Patrick K.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

It is only a touchy subject for those that have a personality weakness. Most self confident practitioners don't care if you know it. It really has no bearing on their level of expertise...as has been born out over time.

JH

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

That I doubt. The gentleman I had a run in with was VERY talented and very very muscular. I bench almost 400 and this guys arms look like my thighs. There is such a thing as kibun. A junior questioning a senior falls under kibun for many Koreans.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

Most Koreans are proud of their dan bon unless they are junior to what you think!

Ben

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

I have to e-mail her later tonight, I'll try to remember to ask her for you.
Probably wouldn't be as much of a bore as you might think. Let me know sometime.
The one you have is the correct one if that is what she told you. She said it was a few months ago someone asked for it.
Good luck with your project.
jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ho Sik Pak

Master Jack Pistella,

I appreciate any assistance you could give. I will e-mail you about the project later today. Thanks!

Patrick K.