Return to Website

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board

A place for Soo Bahk Do - Tang Soo Do - Moo Duk Kwan members to connect and discuss the martial arts. *Note we reserve the right to delete any posts that are disrespectful. This is a board for Warrior-Scholars, visitors are expected to behave as such*

Warrior-Scholar Discussion board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gichin Funakoshi footage

thanks again David.

Ben

Re: Re: Re: Gichin Funakoshi footage

Yeah...I did. I saved the link to my favorites. I think when I set up my school's web page...I'm going to hyperlink them in as reference. Glad you posted that.

JH

Re: This is Not Gichin Funakoshi footage

Nice films, but Gichin Funakoshi had already died when this series of films were made in the early 1960's. Tekki Shodan is performed here by Nishiyama, Tekki Nidan by Asai, and Tekki Sandan by Nakayama. Also seen in this series are Kanazawa, Kase, Enoeda, Okazaki, and Mikami, whom constitute virtually all of the top JKA instructors at the time.

To the best of my knowledge, the only existing motion pictures of any Funakoshi doing a complete kata, are the series of videos by Kenneth Funakoshi, a grandson of the master.

Kyoshi

Re: Re: This is Not Gichin Funakoshi footage

Kyoshi ,

If you look at the very bottom of the link I sent you will find links to Funakoshi Sensei doing the Tekki's , please ck it out again , I think you will enjoy this find .

David

Re: Re: Re: This is Not Gichin Funakoshi footage

You're right, my apologies. I found the links at the bottom of the page, and those films are definately Funakoshi Gichin. It's remarkable how much these two kata (Tekki San wouldn't load) have changed from that time (1914) to the first JKA film series (1962), to modern day JKA versions of these kata, which really don't have a lot of movements that are changable. One wonders if Funakoshi himself would have passed a modern rank examination using his original versions of the kata.

Kyoshi

Re: Re: This is Not Gichin Funakoshi footage

Correction: Tekki Sho is performed by M. Sugiura; Tekki Ni by H. Shirai; Nakayama is doing Tekki San.

Kyoshi