Return to Website

Our Calabrian Heritage

Discussions and research for People of Calabrian Ancestry.

Our Calabrian Heritage
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Researching family name DeAgazio in Calabria, Italy and the US

My Grandfather was born in Calabria and immigrated to the US in 1904. His name was Saverio DeAgazio he married Guditta Barberi. He changed his last name from DeAgazio to D'Agaris sometime between 1904 and the 1930 US census. Their names became Samuel & Julia D'Agaris. They lived in White Plains, New York and then in Washington, DC. Any help with finding any other family members would be really appreciated

FOR MY ITALIAN FRIENDS:

Il mio nonno è stato sopportato in Calabria ed immigrated negli Stati Uniti in 1904. Il suo nome era Saverio DeAgazio che ha sposato Guditta Barberi. Ha cambiato un momento il suo ultimo nome da DeAgazio a D'Agaris fra 1904 ed il censimento statunitense 1930. I loro nomi si sono transformati in in Samuel & in Julia D'Agaris. Hanno vissuto in pianure bianche, New York ed allora in Washington, DC. Tutto l'aiuto con l'individuazione dei qualunque altri membri della famiglia realmente sarebbe apprezzato

Re: Researching family name DeAgazio in Calabria, Italy and the US

My grandparents were born in Calabria and immigrated to Philadelphia. My grandmother had 15 children many who are still alive and well. I would love to take a trip there and see if I could find other family members. Have you ever been there?

Re: Researching family name DeAgazio in Calabria, Italy and the US

Hi, I just stumbled across this message board and saw your post. My last name is Agazio. My grandfather, Francisco Antonio Agazio, was born in San Giovanni in Fiore in 1884. He immigrated to Canada sometime in 1900 (i think) then later came to the US. He eventually settled in Colorado and raised a large family.

I was researching my family in San Giovanni in Fiore civil records and came across a Saverio Agazio (born aug 7 1890). He was the son of Domenico Agazio and Teresa Barberio...the name in the record is clearly Agazio, so I don't know if there is any connection to your grandfather...its worth a shot to ask though. Its possible my grandfather slightly changed the spelling of his last name also. My family in the US has always spelled it Agazio, but I came across a 1947 letter from my grandfather's sister in San Giovanni in Fiore and she spelled it Aggazio....Let me know if you want to exchange info...I've always seen the name DeAgazio and always wondered if it was somehow connected to mine. I have a family history website which has most of my information www.agaziofamilyhistory.org

Re: Re: Researching family name DeAgazio in Calabria, Italy and the US

Hey Tim,
Interesting, I too have seen Agazio in my family line. I have also seen D'Agasio, the spellings do differ and maybe your family is related to mine with just dropping the D. My Grandfather was born in 1884 in Tutti De Ruggerio (sp) in Calabria. I know he had a brother and no one seems to know what happened to him or where he went or even whether he came to the US or went someplace else. What a coincedence, my Grandmother, Guditta (Julia) Barberi D'Agazio was born on Aug. 7th but I think she was born in 1889.
Researching, the family history has become a real challenge. We were never told our real last name and we only found out after both my parents had passed away and we were all grown adults. When ever we asked about what our real last name was my father would ignore the question. I was told by my cousin (son of my Father's brother) that our name was really D'Agazio and was also told finally by my Father's sister on her death bed (97yrs old) what our real name was) that our name was not changed at Ellis Island but, because my Grandfather had it changed because he didn't want his children to be ridiculed about being an Italian Immigrant family. As I am sure you know the Irish and Italian's were treated poorly when they first arrived in the US.
I am still looking through the records and trying to figure it out. Please keep in touch! I need all the help I can get.
Cheers,
Georgia