Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My two children after a seperation

Me and my husband seperated over 3 months ago and ever since my daughter hasnt slept properly she keeps waking at 3am and then struggles to go back to sleep, and also her moods are getting at least once a week were she just really angry and she cant/wont talk to me. And my son he misses his dad so much well they both do but my son doesnt seem to understand that his dad doesnt want to come back. They both use to see there dad everyday and stopped with him on friday nites now there dad wants to come mondays and wednesday to pick them up to have them a few hours then fridays over nite, is all this change confusing and upseting for my children can someone please give advice to get my children to talk to me about there feelings cos its upsetting me not knowing whats wrong with my kids.

Re: My two children after a seperation

Its very early days and still lots of changes for them. Was the split amicable? It really helps if you and your ex can work together on this one, perhaps meet somewhere for a coffee altogether once a week so the kids can see you getting along still. I know thats not always possible and so soon after a split it may be too hard for you but think about giving it a go. It could be they don't want to talk because they don't want to upset you, kids get very protective of there parents at times like this, and have divided loyalties, so let them know its ok, but maybe they'd be happier talking to someone else, a teacher or perhaps a relative? The important thing is that they talk, it doesn't matter who to and you don't need to know what they've said unless its something damaging to them. I would fill the school in on the situation and ask them to find time to chat with the kids, they might have mentors that can help with this situation.