Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 yr old failed another special needs statement

My daughter is 7 yrs old and has undiagnosed special educational needs as the paediatricians really don't know what is wrong!
they say she a mental age of a 3yr old and autistic traits, my daughter has always been delayed in everything, she is still in nappies at night and is wet during the day still, finds school very hard as she is still on reception level work, needs constant help and attention.
At home my husband and I do everything for her and always there for her, but at school she needs more help, even though the school recognise this and do everything they can, but they say she needs 1 to 1 help.

My daughter has failed the statementing process several times and now they want her to see yet another educational psycologist and review the IEP.

Has anybody else been through this and have any advice for me as I feel very angry that they won't give my daughter the individual attention and help she needs at school.

Re: 7 yr old failed another special needs statement

Hi, it is very frustrating when the educational special needs system appears to let you down but my advice is to keep up the pressure and ask your consultant for support and anybody else involved with your daughter. If she is at SCHOOL ACTION PLUS on the school SEN list she should already be getting above and beyond what the AVERAGE child gets in terms of support at school and you can ASK about what extra support she is getting.My son did eventually receive his Statement of SEN but involved me harassing, very politely, everyone involved but especially the Local Authority as to why the Statement was being refused. He also has undiagnosed problems but of a physical nature. Luckily though I am a teacher and now a Special Needs Co Ordinator which meant I had a upper hand when it came to dealing with schools etc. Don't forget to ask parent partnership for help and advice too! All the best !

Re: Re: 7 yr old failed another special needs statement

Thankyou for your advice, very much appreciated and glad I am not alone! But I won't give up, parent partnership have advised me not to give up too.

Re: 7 yr old failed another special needs statement

I would urge you to contact Network 81. . . they helped me to fight the statementing process for my son
the law is compliacted and in my opinion schools worry more about budgets and finances rather than the needs of children who need something a little different to everyone else. Your daughter NEEDS a statement in order to secure her future schooling. . .speak to Eirwen Grenfell Essam. . she is a star. The web site has the contact details. . .just search on Network 81 and you'll find them.

Re: Re: 7 yr old failed another special needs statement

Thankyou! I got in touch with them and they rang me today, they are going to help me.