Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lying

Hi,
My 7 year old son lies about things like brushing his teeth, eating breakfast/lunch, doing homework, etc. My husband punishes him for this by sending him to his room for days at a time. He can come out to eat and wash up and then back to his room. I work all day and my husband does most of the discipling as he is unable to work right now. I admit, I am too soft, but he is certainly too harsh. He says he is because he has to make up for me. I fear this is damaging to my son and need some help. He is a great kid, but is only 7 and can't be perfect all the time. Thank you so much.

Re: Lying

It is normal for a child to tell fibs about things like that and at 7 still your responsibility to ensure they are done.

A reward system may help, harsh punishments will only create further problems.

Frankly your husband would be better off getting of his backside and supervising teeth brushing/homework. What he is doing isn't parenting in any way, its lazy, neglectful and emontionally abusive and I think you should look at why your husband treats his son so badly and demand he gets help or leaves.

Re: Re: Lying

Thank you Sarah. I truly appreciate your quick reply and advice.