Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Self-harming pre-schooler

Help! Today when my husband returned with the children from pre-school there were 3 forms for us to sign in relation to my son (5 in November) who on 3 seperate occasions had bit and scratched himself after being asked to take 'time out' at pre-school for being naughty. I am so stunned as I have never seen this behaviour in either of our children and am mythed where he has picked it up from all of a sudden and for what reason. Myself and husband initially thought it was attention seeking but just a quick look on the internet makes us now wonder if it's his way of managing fustration and anger?? How do we take it forward from here - any suggestions/ideas would be welcomed.

Re: Self-harming pre-schooler

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE REPLYING USE debsmaskell@yahoo.com

Re: Self-harming pre-schooler

Hi Debbie. My daughter is now 4 and just started school. She often bites her arm when she is angry or frustrated and has occasionally bitten other children. At first I was shocked and upset, now I just tell her to carry on as it is her arm she is hurting! When she realised that I was not reacting she seemed to do it less. She now only does it very occasionally. If another child is involved then she is put in time out and made to apologise. She is making progress, slowly but surely!