Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My son not an "angel" anymore!!

Lately, I found out that my soon to be 11-year-old son is not an "angel" like he used to be anymore!!

I called the teacher today to talk about his academic progress. But it turned out that beside him doing quite well academically, teacher told me he has been on a 3-month probation period in the student council (he has been a member of the student council since beginning of this year) because the senior council members decided not to re-elect him due to the harsh words he uses in school, which include "****" and even the "F" word!! It's really shocking to know that he uses foul words!! (He has never been that way before)

Also, teacher overheard the children's conversation that he and another student (boy) have been exchanging smses using the "F" word quite often!! She knows who the boy is and I suspect this could be the same boy who sent some dirty smses to him lately. Teacher said she will talk to him today about this. I will also do the same tonight.

This is really shocking and disappointing cause we don't use such words at all. And all these while, we have been providing the best we could to him. I suggest that:-

i) If necessary, I will request to see the parents of that other boy; and

ii) take his cellphone away from him for a period of time - explain why and tell him it will be given back to him when it's proven that he has stopped using such foul words which are really ungodly.

Am I doing the right thing? Any advice how to deal with this issue in the best manner?

Thank you.

Re: My son not an "angel" anymore!!

I think, we, adults, are too serious. These are just words. The more we forbid them, the more the kids will use them. I would not punish (I never do) and instead listen to your son about his experience. He shouldn't be an anger, that's a huge burden no one can live up to.
Ask him about the feelings that prompt his rough words and connect with him. He may have some anger issues. And self-expression needs an outlet.

Re: My son not an "angel" anymore!!

dont worry boys will be boys if it keeps happening get his dad to have a man to man chat.If you have this trouble after the man to man chat ask his headteacher to have a firm but fair talk
yours sincerly
lilly void(0);
void(0);