Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 year old boy behaviour problems at home

I have a 6 year old boy who seems to be well behaved at school. I have told the doctor and health visitor about his disruptive behaviour, we teach him to not do one thing (which takes a while) then he starts doing another, we have tried the naughty step for naughty behaviour and when we do that he picks the paint or paper off the walls, or rips great holes in his clothing. the answer we got from the dotor, typical 6 year old behaviour, ad from the health visitor "i do not have a magic wand" both of them have said that they can only help - ie tag him with a medical problem if the behaviour i reflected at home. I have already found out that aspartamine make him giddy. so have changed his diet, the school also abide by this. our 3 year old girl is a really sweet and intelligent girl but is starting to copy him. we also have a 11 week old baby. the oldests problems have been ongoing since pre school. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Re: 6 year old boy behaviour problems at home

You have a challenging child...and it is hard work parenting challenging children. If he behaves perfectly at school, he is coosing to behave this way at home. Maybe it's to get attention? Maybe he is very bright?
My youngest was incredibly challenging as a toddler and pre-schooler. She is very able and I think was bored at home. Sure, I gave her lots of attentin and we did lots of things together, but like you, I have 3 children and cannot occupy one of them 24/7.
When she started school, she changed her behaviour as she could be challenged more academically. We also encouraged her to join lots of extra-curricular activities, which help to keep her occupied. She does cubs, gymnastics (7 hours a week), violin and piano. Yes.... it seems a lot and it costs a lot, but she needs it. It keeps her grounded. My easy going son, however would hate to do this many activities. All children are different. Part of parenting is learning to understand your own children and working with them as individuals.
I would look at additives further... see if anything else is triggering the behaviour.
My daughter still can be difficult at home, but school tells me she is the perfect student. However, she is just so much less defiant now, but I do notice that when there is no gym she is a bit hyper!!!

Re: 6 year old boy behaviour problems at home

Sounds like a child looking for power. Back to my recommendation of the book, Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves. If you read it, you will learn the REASON behind his behaviors. Only when you know the reason he must do what he does, you can then help him.
Every child does things for a valid reason. We may not understand it, but we must find the reason and alleviate the cause.

Re: Re: 6 year old boy behaviour problems at home

We have started sending the kids to bed at different times and making a good 30 mins for both of us to try and talk with thomas, he is responding well to extra 1 on 1 time at home. His behavoiur has leveled out a little especially over the last week, we are trying to be more understanding of his situation and his individual needs. thank you for your advice everyone. x