Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4 yr old potty trained nephew starting to play with poop!

I am so very concerned. I just received a call from my sister-in-law. She was hysterically crying explaining to me that my nephew has pooped in the babysitters car and smeared it all over and that this is the 3rd time something like this happened in the last 2 weeks. She said she has tried to talk to him about it but all he will say is "I just did it". I am so worried about this. They live in a completely different state and my brother is in the military on the other side of the globe.

My sister-in-law says that nothing has changed in their lives, and everything seems to be the same as always. The only thing she can think is that her son is missing his dad. However, my brother has been away for a long time now and prior to this deployment he was in Iraq for a year. So my nephew has been without his dad always there for a long time.

If any one has any advise, I would be ever so grateful! I have already told my sister-in-law to seek professional help, I will be looking into that for her today. I hope this is the right decision.

Just a note but my nephew is potty trained and has always used the toilet properly until now. It seems he is doing it deliberately. Maybe he is seeking attention? I can think of no other explanation. Please Help!

Re: 4 yr old potty trained nephew starting to play with poop!

One question ...how is he managing to smear poo all over a car without the babysitter noticing, pulling over and putting a stop to it? How much attention can he be getting...she's only a few inches away from him. I don't think you need to look so deeply for the answers, but I do think your right that this is attention seeking...from boredom...and clearly working if even auntie is this worried about it. I think its the babysitter you need to look at not the child

Re: Re: 4 yr old potty trained nephew starting to play with poop!

Change baby sitters. He probably doesn't like her. And she sounds inadequate in responding so slowly.

Such behavior expresses emotions. He shouldn't be punished but try to find out what the emotion is and resolve the cause.