Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Case Study

Hi everyone,

I am using a case study as part of some work for university. I need peoples views about how you would overcome these problems, whether you agree/disagree with how the child is being brought up, basically your ideas. Any info would be great.

I have a boy who is four years old, he has no siblings and very little contact with other children.

His parents sometimes argue and swear in front of the boy and he often picks up on the wrong language such as swearing.

The boy can be very misbehaved, his parents tell him not to do something and then allow him to do it anyway. He is very spoilt and won't share his toys/colours/play dough etc and cries if you pick something up of his.

He appears to have no boundaries, the child is free to do what he likes when he likes and isnt questioned about it.

The childs dad often play fights with him, tapping his face. The child picks up on this behaviour and when the child punches someone in the face with force (most of the time he is playing) his parents don't tell him off for this behaviour, almost making it seem like it is acceptable. this behaviour makes me worried as he could grow up thinking it is ok to punch someone and continue being violent and aggressive!

Hope there are enough notes there for you to tell me your views.

Thanks

Eleanor (Leeds Metropolitan University)

Re: Case Study

Most of what you say seem to be things the parents are ok with...and as there is limited contact with others theres no real effect on anyone but the parents so its more about parenting style and if the parents are happy with it theres nothing to be resolved.

I think most parents 'sometimes' argue in earshot if not in front of the kids. It would have to be more than sometimes for it to have a significant effect on him.

Not socializing at 4 isn't a bad thing, he's with his parents all the time (if little contact with other kids he can't be in nursery or childcare so assume at least one parent stays at home with him). Many 4 year olds are not ready to socialize.

I'm a bit confused how the sharing and hitting is showing up as a problem if he has limited contact with others and has no siblings. It would be more a thing that happens very occasionally and therefore not worth making a big deal out of, though when he starts school it could become a problem. Certainly the play fighting with dad, for a boy in particular, is positive. I have to say when my son (also 4)'fights' with another boy so long as the other is giving as good as he gets I step back...boys bash each other, they consider it fun.

What we think of this childs behaviour isn't relevant, unless it affects others (ie he bullies other kids) its only what the parents think that counts.

HTH's