Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safety of Grandson

I have a 6 month old grandson whose mother is in an abusive and unsafe relationship with a man that has several felonies including domestic violence and has had his kids taken away and placed in foster care. She has just gotten out of a simular relationship with a man she isn't divorced from yet and who is not the babies father. Her father and I have told her what we know about this new guy and she has decided to "find out on her own". I am ready to tell her that she can find out on her own but that we are taking the baby to insure his safety. Does anyone know if we can do that legally? I just don't know what else to do for her but I can't see her place the baby in harms way. Please help.

Re: Safety of Grandson

I very much doubt you could take the baby without the parents consent, it would probably be considered kidnapping and he would be returned to his mum. His mother is an adult and has to make her own choices, obviously hard for you to watch if the baby is at risk.

I can think of two things you could do, one would be to contact social services, as this man is known to them they would more than likely investigate the situation, the second would be to apply for a residency order. However I would go for the first as any threat to take the baby could alienate her from you altogether and also because social services are more likely to provide her with long term solutions that will allow her to move on from her need to be with this kind of man...and keeping mum and baby together in a safe enviroment has got to be the ideal solution.