Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help...

I have concerns with my 5 year old daughter. 3 weeks ago her cousin(also 5) and her were playing dress up and in the middle of it decided to color each others private areas with markers. And then the next weekend they were going to bed and proceeded to put the end of a barbie brush in or around their vagina's. We scolded her and explained to her that nothing is to be put in or around that area ever. And then today I caught her putting things in her rectum. Please help...I am a stay at home mom and have a 10 month old as well. She's not in daycare or with any new people. I know she hasn't been abused because I'm always with her, unless she stays the night with my mom(who is super over-protective.) I don't why she is doing these things or how to figure it out. She only tells me she doesn't know why she is doing it. We try to give her more attention since her sister was born so she doesn't think we love her less. If anyone has any advice please help.

Re: Need help...

If it has only been 3 weeks since this behaviour has been discovered then I would continuously monitor the situation although at the same time not fall into a "crisis mode" type attitude about the incidents. Some children at that age experience a brief and temporary curiousity about their "private parts" and as parent it is your responsability to educate rather than "scold" or in any way make your child feel as if he/she is bad or naughty for exploring their bodies. A five year old demonstrating these types of behaviour is a delicate subject and could have long term effects in not handled properly by the parent. I recommend that you seek professional help if you are unsure on how to deal with the situation in the correct manner...

Thank you Steve that is very good advice. I appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Re: Need help...

Y.A.W! Hopefully everything gets resolved...

You need to take her to a doctor to be sure she has not been abused.