Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Not so annoying after all.

After writing that last night, i've come to the conclusion that it really helps just to be able to write about frustrations. I feel totally elevated today and feel very greatful for the fact that i have a great daughter even though at times she annoys me, i'm sure every parent can feel that way too at times. I think the biggest problem is that as a single mom i'm so busy all the time and my daughter is really just crying out for me to pay more attention to her. After writing what i wrote last night, I had time to reflect on what i wrote and what was actually the underlying problem, I am greatful to have this website to vent about problems that i may have from time to time. Thank you Practical Parenting!

-Elevated

Re: Not so annoying after all.

I have got a 7 yr old daughter like yours and I came to the conclusion she is like she is because I split up from her father 4 yrs ago now and she doesn't see him, sometimes she worries that she will loose me too. I just reasure her and spend as much time with her as possible as I have 4 other children.

I think your daughter will get better as she gets older.

Re: Re: Not so annoying after all.

I couldn't help but think she sounded insecure when I read your email and then reading what Ang said about her daughter worrying she will lose her confirmed it. Your daughter following you around, needing to know everything, etc. just sounds like her way of staying in control of the situation. Whether her dad is in her life again or not, he definitely had to bring out a lot of insecurity in her. She's probably scared and doesn't know how to articulate it or may not even realize it herself! Kids have ways of getting under your skin and if you look at them too closely, it will just make them worse. Keep reminding yourself of the great things about her. Watch her silly expressions when she sings and notice how cute they are! It sounds like you were frustrated and needed to get it out, just stay on that track!