Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help. Our child can be very mean and cruel

Children of 5 cannot empathise. Real empathy doesn't develop until they are teenagers. I imagine your intelligent son is just experimenting and what is happening is he is getting a reaction. So he is repeating the experiment.
Of course you have to keep on explaining that his behaviour isn't ok and "We don't behave that way in our family".
As he is intelligent, you will probably be able to try to get him to think how the people he is hurting might feel, but he won't empathise yet. He can begin to learn that his actions have consequences.... so maybe the naughty step could be used.
Please don't worry that your child is going to be a delinquent!!! My now 9 year old used to get pleasure from pushing others over when she was little. She doesn't do it anymore!!
Try to remain calm. It might be the reaction he wants.... just be consistent and praise good, kind behaviour. Eventually he will get the message. I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with your son.

Re: Re: Help. Our child can be very mean and cruel

No I don't think there is anything wrong with him either, I think he's a clever little boy who's learnt to push your buttons. He probably has no real understanding of what he's saying and is copying things he's heard from various sources at school etc and figured out they get a reaction.

Judging by what I hear in the playground boys are particularly good at it.