Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5 Year Old Girl

My daughter is five years old and every morning we have a battle to get her dressed and ready for school. She just mucks about and is silly and playing and just won't get dressed. It always ends up with me shouting and screaming at her and running late! It is driving me mad. She is not like this for my husband. He only needs to speak to her and she will do as she is told.

I have tried rewards but she is not materialistic and doesn't give a s*** to be honest about things and doesn't really ask for anything, which is good in one way.

Even at the weekends when I am taking her out for the day, I say to her that we won't go if she doesn't get dressed and she's not bothered!

Any advice on what I can do as I don't like shouting at her all the time.

Many thanks
Julie

Re: 5 Year Old Girl

She is playing a game with you.... and winning right now. She is getting lots of your attention and she knows how to make you cross!!!!
At the w/e's... have you ever carried out your threat and not taken her out? This might shock her.
Maybe you could talk to her teacher... and say if she doesn't get changed... you'll bring her to school in her PJ's .
Try to stay calm.... I'm sure she can dress herself now. Leave her her clothes.... have you tried a timer? Can you get downstairs, dressed in 5 mins? Then it's a game you are in control of.
My youngest daughter is 9 and plays this game sometimes...I say "How long do you think it'll take to get dressed? 5 Mins?" Ok... I'll time you... if you are faster, I'll cook you....x..... for breakfast."

She knows you have to send her to school. She knows she can control you by faffing around. Don't give her that control. She has to realise that if she isn't ready, you will pick her up and take her to school in her PJ's.... or she won't do it.

My eldest was faffing around this morning (she's 13). My husband takes her friend into school as well and they weren't ready. He went to go without them.... friend was panicking. My daughter just said "It's ok, he won't go without us".... and while my daughter knows that, she won't ensure she is ready on time as she knows she has this power. My husband needs to drive off without her one day.

Re: 5 Year Old Girl

Hi Julie

My daughter, now 12, was like this too (she was also well behaved for her Dad!). It caused endless battles with me screaming at her, then spending the day feeling awful after dropping her off at school, and I'm sure she didn't feel too great either! I spoke to other parents, of course there were some whose kids got dressed immediately with no probs, however, we weren't the only ones struggling by a long shot...the advice I got that worked was...dress her yourself! Life's too short to do battle all the time, mornings went from hell to a pleasant time spent together getting ready and her being dressed in about 2 minutes. I know some may say this is the wrong approach, but it worked for us and, as she got older and wanted her independence she soon started dressing herself, and both of us became much happier into the bargain. Like your daughter even if we were going for a special treat at the weekend she still took forever to get ready. Good Luck!

Sue