Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boys more interested in 'girls' toys

My three year old son mostly plays with his older sisters Barbies, dress-ups and loves all of the fairytale stories of princesses and castles etc. My husband is very very concerned and anxious about this and I am not sure what I should be doing about it. We try to encourage him to play with other things but he always comes back to the Barbies and high heels. I want him to be able to be himself but am concerned that these activities are going to result in teasing if they continue. Should I be worried? Please help!
Loving Mum Of Three

Re: Boys more interested in 'girls' toys

Do not worry!!!! My son used to let the girls put nail varnish on him , do his hair etc. He played with the girl's toys. He is now 11 and there is no way he's do any of that now! It was a phase he went through. If you make a big issue of it, he might become anxious.
Of course he wants to play with his sisters' toys, but when he's older, most likely he'll develop different tastes! It wasn't traumatic my son stopping wearing nail varnish... it'd just never ever wear it now!
Most likely these activities won't continue. Let him be who he wants to be right now. There's enough peer pressure out there in the future for him to worry about.... for now he's fine playing with the girls. If he plays with the girl's toys, developing his gentler side, he'll get it out of his system and be rady to move on.

Re: Re: Boys more interested in 'girls' toys

Don't worry at all, my son plays with his sisters toys and she plays with his toys.

He may get teased...he may also not care! Only worry about that if it actually happens.