Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: to push or not to push snow boarding lessons

It sounds as if they are worried about failing.... Snowboarding is really hard for a couple of days. They will fall over (lots) but they will be learning a new skill and it is hard!!!
We ski/snowboard and we have 3 kids... aged 13, 11 and 9. Our 13 tear old now LOVES skiing as she is really good at it (she is better than me and her Dad!!!! now). Our 11 year old snowboards... and he has dyspraxia... a co-ordination disorder. He finds it hard and moans abou going to snowboard school... but it's too hard for him to keep up with us, so he has to go. We've set him a traget... he has to go until he can turn easily on blue slopes... so he can board with us all day. We tend to ski in Canada (my sister lives there) and there the schools are fantsatic... fun and not boring. HOWEVER, we have had some bad experiences in France... so BEWARE (eg. we were 5 mins late as had to pick up 2 childrn at same time in different places, and son then 9 was put on a bus on his own, back to our chalet, on Christmas Day, son got left at lift etc etc.)
Now if your family wants to have ski holidays together in the future, your children HAVE to learn the skill. It isn't an option. It is dangerous to try to ski/board without learning the basics.
They will be apprehensive, but until they have tried it they won't know if they like it! And ok... at first it'll be hard but everyone is in the same boat. However, you can make the whole experience more fun for them....by toboganning etc and doing other fun stuff. My youngest 2 are still apprehensive on skis/boards, but will tolerate lessons etc as we also tobogan (they love that) and have fun in the snow generally. And I know that when they have mastered boarding and skiing they will love the activity as much as my eldest. I feel have to cajoule them through this stage as to my husband and I, skiing holidays are important.

I have only learnt to ski as an adult and it has taken me a LONG time to enjoy the sport... I do now I am competent enough... so if it is important to you, persevere and encourage. However, they will not be able to snowbaord if they don't take lessons.... Their teacher should be encouraging and everyone in their class will be beginners. You should take lessons too!

Good luck.

Re: Re: to push or not to push snow boarding lessons

You say your not a skier...if you were being pushed into it how would you feel about that? I think you'll find your answer in that.

They may feel totally differently about it when they get there and see other people trying it for the first time too.