Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
11 year old son stealing and lying help

I have just caught my son taking money out of my purse for the second time I have tried grounding him and taking his tele etc out of his room, I have shouted at him and threatened him, he says its my fault that I dont give him spending money. We are paying 200 for a trip plus he goes to football etc but that does not seem to mean anything he seems angry all the time has anyone got any advice please I am desperate

Re: 11 year old son stealing and lying help

Hi there,
I recently caught my 12 year old stealing from my purse to. Although I can be a 'shouty' mum at times, on this occasion I sat down whilst my daughter stood there and I told her that I was so upset and disappointed, in a really quiet voice. I then told her that that was her money now and that I hoped she enjoyed spending it. She was devastated because she wasn't given the chance to scream and shout and she had a little cry. Although I have had many failures in my parenting life (my 15 yr old has derailed!), this one was a success. She's never touched my bag since. I let all my kids know that there may be a chance that money has been placed somewhere as a trick to see if anyone would take it (I have never done this) and I've also learned not to leave my purse, handbag or loose change in a tempting position.
I wish you all the best.
xxx

Re: Re: 11 year old son stealing and lying help

Thanks for that I will try it with him I just seem to be so negative with him all the time plus I have a 17 yr old daughter who can be a handful too.It just seems to get me down, all I seem to do is nag them its nice to know I am not on my own