Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: How do i tell my daughter about her father?

Children can handle reality better than us, their parents. She hasn't learned yet that she is supposed to have a birth father and she won't mind at all, specially if you tell it in that spirit. Your sisters have a father, you don't. Each one is different.

Another idea is to wait and eventually you will have a boyfriend or a "big brother" for her.

Whatever you do, tell the truth without judging the father. We add so much drama and hurt when we judge. You don't have to say "he ran away." You can just say you don't know where he is and it doesn't matter and you love her a lot.

Re: Re: Re: How do i tell my daughter about her father?

Hemoyla you cannot tell a child they don't have a father, every child has a father and how are you going to explain that one away if he turns up?

And neither can you wait for a new partner to turn up unless your names cinderella, snow white or sleeping beauty.

I am in the same position, my daughter has never met her father and I have no idea where he is. So my advice is answer her questions with honesty, any untruths will backfire on you later and always be aware that he may turn up one day. My daughter liked to get a bit of info, go and digest it then come back for more, so do it at your daughters pace. She will want to know it all but maybe not all in one go and kids tend to stop asking when they've reached the point they need to go off and ponder over things before hearing more. Start as soon as you can, before she has time to build up fantasy ideals about him that you have to shatter.

As she's very young you could try making up stories about a child in a similar position to use as a way of talking about it on top of giving her the facts. Can't remember the author but look out for a book called Annies Stories...gives some good examples of how to do this to work through any worries without making it too intense.

You will find when the time comes its a bit like the dreaded sex talk, you get all prepared and then they ask all the questions you hadn't expected it and waltz of with an 'oh, is that it'.We worry about it far more than they do.

You'll be fine and you'll know just what to do when the time comes.