Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
neighborhood kids picking on my son

i need help. kids in my neighborhood are picking on my 8 yr old son every morning. what should i do about it? the kids dont listen to me and the parents dont care. im tired of seeing my son upset. help.

Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

Hi Mandy,

This really is a horrible situation for you. If the childrens' parents don't care, then this problem isn't likely to go away.

Is this on the way to school? If so, is it possible for your son to go a little earlier, or later, just to avoid this for a while?

Does he have any friends at school that aren't from the neighbourhood? If you have someone to play, and he doesn't seem like a loner, the other kids may lay off him.

Is there a kid who seems less mean than the others that you might be able to invite round for tea? This might seem crackers, but it sounds like they view your son as an outsider, and this might help make him feel more part of the group. This is of course, if you approve of the kids in general! I know I don;t encourage the kids round my way to come and play, some of them stole things from my son when they came to play, and the others trashed my house and then legged it. So, no more!

If this wont go away, then it might be that your only option is to try and instill some strength and self esteem in your son, and just be in his corner. Its not the best solution, but some things we cant change, and we have to roll with it. I know I've said on so many occasion that I wish I could "buy my son some friends"!!! But I just have to keep telling him he is great, cool, fun, and I love him. This is the best I can do as his mum, when the chips are down and he seems so lonely and friendless.

I really hope things improve for your little man, its so rough when they are unhappy.

Lots of love and best wishes

Liz xx

Re: Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

The problem is the bus stop..... The bus stop is located right in front of my house. Im the only parent that is home that actually cares if their child gets on the bus safely for school. It seems as though they (the kids) only target my son while hes waiting for the bus. The kids are 9 & 10 and my son just turned 8. i try reasoning with the kids and they dont listen. The kids talk back to me, throw rocks at my home..... im tired of it. The parents are never home so their kids run the streets. I dont know what i can do? Should i contact the authoritys about it? Should i threaten the parents with a law suit? I sold my home this past month and plan on moving in the next 5 months but in the mean time im forced to be my sons body gaurd.

Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

It sounds like the same kind of street as I live on! I think you should call the police if they throw rocks, definately. And if the taunting is bordering on harrassment, then I would consider getting the authorities involved there too. I think the main thing is that your son will see you fighting for him and for what is right. Some people might think otherwise, and that he needs to fight his own battles, but the odds aren't exactly in his favour with lots of kids older than him teaming up like that.

Are there any of your neighbours that could get on your side? Some must feel the same way about the kids running riot. If you're in the UK, you can play on the anti social behaviour bit, local governments are expected to do something about this kind of thing.

Best Wishes

Liz xx

Re: Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

Thanks for the advise. My husband is going to go visit the parents tonight and give them their final warning about their children. After that i will be calling the police. Im tired of them putting their hands on my son, enough is enough. i dont believe in violence but i feel like telling my son to go beat the cr*p out of them..... but i dont want my son stooping to their level.

Re: Re: Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

Are these kids at the same school? I would report it to the headteacher too, if there in uniform its a school problem.

Good luck with the police.

Re: Re: Re: Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

The kids go to the same school. No uniforms though. I reported it to the school and because its not happening on school grounds they say they cant do anything about it... same with the bus.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: neighborhood kids picking on my son

Hi Mandy,

I know how you must feel... definitely don't tell him to beat on them as he will be outnumbered besides!!!

If the parents aren't home when it's occurring, probably they just feel that their hands are tied -- they've got to work, right? How many of these kids are there? Maybe since you are home, you could (gulp) offer to have them bring their kids round before work. If they are in your home, you are in a better position to manage their behaviour -- your home, your rules.

I'm sorry I don't have any more helpful suggestions, that's a tough one.