Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sleepless nights

My daughter is 8 months old when she was 1 month old she started sleeping through the night. When she turned 6 months old she started waking up every hour or two. Now recently she won't go back to sleep unless she has had at least 4 oz. of a bottle. I have tried cereal before bed, infant massage, and oragel for teething. Any suggestions on how to get her to sleep better????

Re: sleepless nights

Because her body is changing and maturing at a fast rate, she will simply have to outgrow this. If this means 6 months of this, then that is just how it is. It might just be gas waking her. My 4th child began waking every hour at around the same age, and I got NO sleep for months! He was taking in different foods and his body had to get used to processing them. Going from breastfed/formula, to solid food is a HUGE change for babies digestive systems. It takes hours (overnight) for the body to process food into turds. ONE THING YOU HAVE TO AVOID is a mistake I made with my 2nd child. He began waking more frequently in the night, and the only thing that helped him get to sleep was a 4oz bottle!!! So I inadvertantly "trained" him to feel hungry for smaller amounts every few hours. He began eating more at night than during the day! My PEDIATRITIAN calles it "The Trained Night Feeder". The easy way for you, often makes it harder on you in the long run, so avoid the frequent small meals at night. When a baby eats, it kind of revs-up the digestive system. So feeding your baby might feel good, by helping her to process what is already in her system faster. My doctor sais when you feed a newborn, they often poop very soon after eating. That is NOT the "food" you just gave the child, but what is in there from the last meal. As a newborn is eating, it helps the metabolism speed up a little. Look for your childs waking to be due to digestion, possibly. Feed her before bed, in the morning. And yes sometimes they are hungry at night, and should be fed when hungry, just watch out for the "Trained Night-Feeder" dilemma.