Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 11 year olds left in house alone, one hour a week.

Hi all, After a very unsettled afternoon with the kids today, I have decided that I will not allow the kids to be home alone, not even for an hour, once a week. I told hubby that I would speak to the college to see what they had to say but he then said that he would try and get home definately an hour earlier from work every Thursday. He does enough unpaid work for the company so an hour, once a week should not be too much trouble. Many thanks for all your messages - much appreciated.
Best Wishes
Shirley 5pm Sunday 14th Aug 05

Re: 11 year olds left in house alone, one hour a week.

i felt that most of my children were mature enough to be left home alone at age 10 - - and i've other teens that i feel need to have closer supervision.

We started leaving the kids home alone during the summer (oldest one 15) - - it was working out well until they got a prank phone call and disobeyed me by answering the phone (not screening the calls thru the answering machine like they were instructed). They paniced, left the house, and went to a neighbors' home. I left work and then realized that they needed this (luckily harmless) 'test' to learn a lesson of how to behave when we're not home.

My suggestion, you need to increase your confidence that they will mind the rules when you're away - - maybe a 'test' would help you there.