Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
10 year old boy being stubborn and driving mother insane

Hi, Does anyone have any good adeas about dealing with 10 year old boys. My son's had a pretty tough time living with his father's family over the last few years but he lives with me now and has a great life.

But when I ask him to do the simplest things like homework or pick up his own clothes etc he turns to a comic or TV. Then he calls me MASTER and really winds me up. Then I shout and then he says sorry....... blah blah.

But it's taking it's toll on my stress levels. I have to earn all the cash for the household, do all the housework, cook for everyone. I feel pressured and wrong and guilty that I am not dealing with this better - we are both intelligent humans.

So, any ideas???? If it's any help, my son has a high IQ and is only happy when someone else is occupying him with science or wildlife facts. And of course comics and TV !!!!

Azero

Re: 10 year old boy being stubborn and driving mother insane

I highly recomend a video called 123 Magic!
They don't call it a "discipline method" but method to obtain more cooperation and less resistance from your children. It sounds corney, and I did not believe the results promised by the method. BUT I had faith, and used the method, and it worked!!!
I have 4 boys, ages 6, 4, 2, and 11 months old. My 6 year old is very strong willed, demanding, bossy, resistant temperement. It took a few months of me consistently implementing it, for the complete results as the tape showed, to be seen in my two older children. It was worth it. I spend less time, even having to scold them, dont spank, and the kids actually like the method. It is a win/win situation!
I borrowed the videos from the school district, and cannot remember the name of the guy who made the tape. Tape 1 is for "start behavior" (example; Start coming in for dinner) Tape 2 is for "stop behavior" (example; Stop debating me) Amazon.com might have them. Remember...123 Magic! What I have implemented at home, also carries over in their behavior at school, and other places whether I am with them or not. Implementing this simple method WILL get the cooperation, respect, friendship, and results you want!