Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pants wetting

My 5 year old still wets his pants at times. It is like he doesn't want to take the time to go to the bathroom. If I make him go to the bathroom he does, he knows when he has to go but he starts K this fall and I don't want him to wet his pants at school. How do i get him to change this behaivor.

Re: pants wetting

Look this is so normal at this age. My son did this too, they get so wrapped up in what they are doing they just forget about going to the toilet. I am a big believer in not making a big deal about it as it will only cause your son anxiety. Just ask him periodically does he need to go to the loo but don't nag.

If he has an accident, just clean up with a minimal amount of fuss and just say oh well next time let's try to make the toilet. He will be fine for school. Peer pressure does wonders, if he wets there it will only be once but make sure you have spare clothes just in case it happens. He will grow out of it soon enough. Just don't stress.

Send him to school in Pull-Ups. Theres an 90% chance he will quit doing this once he starts school, and sees the other kids not doing it. If he continues, you will have to buy a lot of pull-ups for awhile longer.

I also have a little sister who, long ago finally potty trained the day she started Kindergarten...for example. Imagine a 5 and a half year old child still peeing and pooping in a diaper! Good Lord! She came home that afternoon after school, and asked for panties.

i have a 9 year old who still wets and soils, though we are winning the battle!
at school, she regularly wets herself. i have an arrangement with the staff and pop in at lunchtime to make sure she goes to the loo or wash and change her, whichever needs doing and have been doing this for 5 years now.
one of the best bits of help i was given by the enuresis clinic was to try and get a member of teaching staff to act as a mentor. this person reminds the child to use the toilet at every available oppertunity, thereby making it less likely that they have an accident.
it worked for us for some time, but unfortunately our problrm is linked to behavioural difficulties and is not as straight forward as being late at potty training!
good luck, remember, never get cross, you simply make the problem worse. positive encouragement is much better than negative critiscism.

Re: Re: pants wetting

Hi,
I have the same problem with my 4 year old, she constantly wets her knickers, also has behavioural problems and delayed speech.
At school the teachers will change her but lately she has been coming home wet as teachers haven't noticed, I don't quite know why my daughter is doing this.