Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2.5 year old and "hate it/you"

Our 2.5 year old has recently picked up the word "hate." He also seems to use it in correct context. I will ask him to come sit at the table for dinner, and he'll put on a terrible face and say, "I hate Mommy." Anyhoo... We have tried timeouts after I explain to him the word is unacceptable, we have threatened to give our dog away when he says he hates him. Now he'll say the word and ASK for a time out or tell me to give Louie (the dog) away. My mom used to put dish soap in our mouths... I'm nearing this position... I don't want to put him into bed for a punishment because he enjoys going to bed and I don't want to spoil this. I teach kids with learning disabilities, so I understand the "catch them being good," "ignoring," and "redirect" mentalities, but this one has me wondering. Any help?

Re: 2.5 year old and "hate it/you"

Have you tried checking out the advice on http://www.families.com I recently read about someone who had a very similar problem to yours and with the advice and tips she received she solved the problem in a matter of days. If you really don't want to resort to the tactics your mother used you should really give take a look at this. I used it all the time for any problems that I might have with my 2 year old and I have to say I have received some really good advice and would definitely recommend it to anyone. Let me know how you get on.

Hi, Have you tried ignoring it. When he realises he doesn't get a reaction he may stop doing it. That worked with my son when he picked up the word **** It! He said it over and over cos he knew it upsset me. As soon as I just ignored him he soon got bored.

My children told me very few times that they hated me. My response was a very sad face, and to tell them I'm sorry they felt that way, because I LOVED them very, very much. I could and would never hate them. It seemed to do it.
Mary