Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
14 month screamer

Hi! I have a very active 14 month old daughter, who of course I think is very intelligent! :) I stay at hoem with her, and she's always had my undivided attention. I'm starting to feel that she's trying to be the boss of me though! She will often swat me in the face if she gets frustrated, or wants me to do something her way. And just within the last 2 weeks, she screams for attention. She started the screaming in a public places so I couldn't just ignore her like I think I shoud do. Instead I took her outside and let her walk around. She is my first child so I don't know what is normal as far as her testing the boundaries. I want her to be a confident, inquisitive child but I think we need to start teaching her what is acceptable and what is not. She is not phased by my husband and I using stern voices, and I really don't want to spank her. What are my options? Will she understand being put in her crib for misbehaving if I tell her that is the consequence?? Am I over reacting??

Re: 14 month screamer

hi my name is hannah if u need babysitting just ask but i want 2 know how much u pay for sum 1 2 babysit ur little 1 my num is 01692581583 okay or mobile num is 07704732087 okay just ring or txt me and i wil txt u bk

Re: 14 month screamer

your girl is not to young to understand the meaning of going to her cot. She will learn that when she does something that is inappropriate concerning her behaviour that that will be her punishment. She will learn. Warning her first is good and if she insists on doing it then follow through on your threat to put her in time out. When she has calmed down from screaming then explain she may hop out and explain why she was put in there in the first place.

Re: Re: 14 month screamer

Thank you for responding. She's doing much better and we've noticed the screaming occurs the most when she's over tired, or when she thinks she needs to compete for attention. Especially when my husband just gets home from work! Again, thanks for getting back to me!

Re: Re: Re: 14 month screamer

It took me years to figure out that when my daughter was tired she was fussy and reactive. She has probably always had some difficulty settling down and going to sleep at night. So in kindergarten she napped when she shouldn't...and later came in from school and went to sleep. Her dad wouldn't enforce a bedtime and usurped my authority be letting her watch tv whenever he handled bedtime. Said he enjoyed her company. She's 15 now and still a meanie when sleep-deprived.