Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3 year old is being sneaky

My 3 year old grandson has started sneaking. An example of this would be going into the pantry, taking a box of cookies and then hiding somewhere to eat them. He is not denied cookies but knows he can't have the whole box at one sitting. His parents and I think this is a normal action of a 3 year old. but wonder what can be done to stop the behavior. Currently his mother asks him what he is doing and he admits to sneaking. He then gets a "time out" and may be denied a toy for the day. Any other solutions?

Re: 3 year old is being sneaky

Hi there Gail,

This might sound daft, but at 3, I really think anything he isn't allowed to help himself to should be well and truly out of reach. I would stash things like that on a high shelf, or get a little hook and eye for the top of the pantry door. The temptation to help himself is too much for a child his age to cope with. Thats why he admits to the sneaking. Its not a calculated attempt to deceive, more him being unable to resist.

When mine were small I moved everything, ornaments, nicknacks, sweet things, anything i would rather they didnt have, to avoid having to chafe at them all the time. The only thing i had help yourself policy on was the fruit bowl! Maybe I should have banned fruit, and they would have been more tempted to take it!

Liz x

Re: Re: 3 year old is being sneaky

If you don't want him to take the biscuits then move the m! simple really, why take a simple thing and turn it into an issue?