Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
confused about 14 yr old daughter

I have a 14 yr old daughter that has recently decided to stay with her dad. Her dad and grandma sent her off and would not tell me where or with who she was. I know she's ok, but I think grandma is encouraging her to do this. I have not heard from her in 2 weeks. I found note in her room signed love you mom, but I did not write it. Oh and grandma is a counselor. What do I do?

Re: confused about 14 yr old daughter

A bit confused, are you saying you haven't known where your daughter is for two weeks or that you do know where she is but dad wasn't the one to tell you?
If its the first and you have residence of your daughter, then call the police. If its the second I'd warn him what you intend to do if he doesn't tell you and then call the police, if you are the main carer he is obliged to tell you, not every time she leaves the house for a few hours obviously but 2 weeks hiding her is kidnap in my books. I suspect in the second case you'll be advised to talk to a solictor about it as I know someone who has been in the same position and that was the advice the police gave him.
There playing games with your child as piggy in the middle and you need to take back control and let him know that you won't just sit back and take it else they'll have no reason to put a stop to it. If grandma is a counsellor she ought to be ashamed of herself as she'll know full well what damage game playing can do to a child.

Re: Re: confused about 14 yr old daughter

Thanks for the information. I did call the police and my lawyer! I do know that now she is living her life with her dad as if I don't exist. But the day this all happened no one would tell me where she was untill the police called me later and said they found her at her dad's and she was fine, but that because she is 14 they can't make her come back. I found a note yesterday in her room that was signed love you mom, only I did not write it. To me that is sick that someone is doing that! I wrote her a letter, but nothing in return. What now? Sit and wait and hope or what? I'm lost!

Re: confused about 14 yr old daughter

i would try to get her back because its not cool that they arent telling u how shes doing. u should know at all times whether or not she is ok. and if they arent telling u then thats a problem. i think if u have joint custody then it could be considered kidnapping if he took ur daughter and u werent ok with it. if it feels like a bigger problem the u could ask for advice from an officer. they could tell u what u should do