Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 year old daughter

My 6 yr. old daughter told her teacher that she wanted to shoot herself in the head. Any ideas on what I can do or if I should take her to see a psychologist?

Re: 6 year old daughter

My advise is to get her into counseling ASAP. It sounds to me that your child needs help and is crying out in the only way they know how. My nephew once said similar things and his grandmother (who I don't always agree with) said he needed help and to see a counselor. I strongly agree. With the right person you can get down to the cause of this and help to make it better. To me that is serious enough to call for counseling TODAY!

Re: 6 year old daughter

Hi,

I think this would depend on her general mood. My 6 year old says weird things sometimes, like, if something seems wrong in his life, he says he thinks he needs to die and start again. Their young minds don't necessarily see death as final and as serious as we would.

Is she saying this while she is upset, angry, or moody? It may just be her way of saying she is totally frustrated and doesn't know what to do about it. Some children, rather than say things like that, will hit themselves in the face, bang their heads, etc. The thing is, you know your child, and what is going on in her life. So you will be able to see whether your child is just making emotional outbusrts or whether its coming from a deeper emotional problem.

If you rule out the normal explanations, then perhaps you do need to get some counselling for her.

Good luck

Liz x