Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
scared mom 10 yr old son - out of control

my son is a delight most of the time, but when he gets to school everything goes down hill. i was on the phone for 40 mins with him and teacher while i was at work today. they cannot get him to do his work. the school called the police to come and get him for shoving the teacher. please help!

Re: scared mom 10 yr old son - out of control

Hi
I don't think my situation is quite as bad as yours but my 5 year old is totally out of control. I have tried all methods of discipline with him and nothing works. He won't do anything he's asked at home or at school. He reduced me to tears this morning and laughed at me!! I am in despair to, so you are not alone!

Can I ask...are you a single mom?

HI! My step son was not quite as bad as your situation, but close. We got him into counseling and filled out papers at school to try and get him into an alternative class room because of emotional problems. The counselor also told us to try a daily reward system. With this system he was expected to not get into trouble at school or at home, not be disrespectful, Do his homework, and not mouth back. If he didn't follow the expectations then he had privleges taken away. We had 3 things we used mostly. And it's all or nothing. We used tv, video games, and playing with friends. If he didn't follow the "rules" or "expectations" then he lost all 3 privleges for that day only. When he woke up the next day he started fresh. We arrainged with the teachers to notify us daily of his behavior and work. After a few weeks it started to get a little better. Now we have many more good days than bad and he even is getting good grades. Huge turn around!!! Oh and like I said before it's all or nothing. 1 bad thing gets all taken away. You don't wait till your frustrated and no yelling. It's just simply "you didn't follow the rules so as you know you can't have your privleges". Yes he got upset, but with time it all got better.Good Luck!!