The Sallyport

Since July 2000

Welcome to; As the D.O.C. Sallyport Spins...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
He was put into a Marion County jail wagon and came out a quadriplegic, lawyers say

An Indianapolis man who says he went into a Marion County Sheriff's Office vehicle non-disabled and came out a quadriplegic is suing law enforcement and local government.

Records show Indianapolis police officers responded to a request for help with a disorderly person in the 2700 block of Southeastern Avenue at 2:30 p.m. Sept. 8, 2019. Officers arrested Travis Shinneman in response to that call and the state filed a disorderly conduct misdemeanor charge against him the following day.

Prosecutors dropped the case about a year later. But mystery surrounds what happened to Shinneman between when he was arrested and when he arrived at the Marion County Jail.

More:'2 months of hell': Capitol rioter Jon Schaffer attacked with feces in jail, lawyer says

"I went to the liquor store and next thing I know, you know, about 6-7 hours later I went into a blackout," Shinneman, a recovering alcoholic, told IndyStar during an interview in the patio of the nursing home where he lives. "And the next thing I know is I'm waking up in a hospital with a doctor standing over me telling me that I'm paralyzed from the chest down."
'None of these vans have any safety belts'

In a legal complaint submitted Sunday to the federal U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Shinneman's lawyers say he was handcuffed, intoxicated and without safety restraints as he rode in the back of a Marion County Sheriff's Office jail wagon. The wagon arrived at the 2700 block of Southeastern Ave around 3 p.m. and Shinneman was filmed at the jail around 3:25 p.m., according to video provided by lawyers.