Return to Website

LOGGER'S FORUM

The FWSN Logger's Forum is an online message board that provides BC Forest Industry workers a place to post and exchange messages. Any information, thoughts, opinions, and observations on what is happening to fallers in the BC forest industry can be beneficial.

This forum is solely for the communication of workplace and workplace related health and safety-related issues. Any comments deemed by the FWSN as demeaning or derogatory, discriminatory or potentially libelous will be removed when detected by the FWSN.

Think it... now say it! And your posting will appear on this forum. You may also e-mail an individual who does a posting and pursue your own direct communication with that person, outside of this forum.

FALLER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Certification

with all the bankruptcies (hays,mums,ted leroy,etc.)there will be and is a large storage of displaced workers looking to fill any open spots. when western shut down all there operations another group went on the market. I do see a continuous downward motion on wages that can only be stopped by a strong hold steady response by union members. one that doesn't see any group trying to go it alone. I had hoped the union would have had a better plan when the contracting out of fallers was implemented before the 2003 contract. the keep your powder dry concept totally softened the union's position. the side deals that were made also did not help they created a divide that will probably never repaired. at least in my time. always safe

Re: Certification

Is this going to be in the future for most everyone in forest industry?
Sixty employees of a Port Alberni sawmill and remanufacturing plant will be laid off next week. Coulson Group has been negotiating with the United Steelworkers over a proposed 25 per cent wage cut, but has yet to reach an agreement. Coulson figures he might have no choice but to shut down.
You know once that kinda thing starts its just like a virus where does it stop?
Maybe that Walmart job might not be so bad, safer, steadier,warm and dry, a guy might end up making the same amount of $$.